Calvary Endowed Scholarship Fund
The mission of the Calvary Endowed scholarship fund is to provide financial support for students pursuing higher and continuing education and to support Christian applicants of Calvary UMC whose education will assist them in living out their faith. Any participant or member of CUMC who has been an active participant in the church for at least 2 years, regardless of age, who is enrolled in a certificate, career or degree program may apply for consideration.
The fund was originally formed in 1970 as The Calvary Foundation, which at the time was separate from the church. Calvary Church members and local residents who were known to be instrumental in its formation were Ruby and Lavon Linn, Woodrow “Woody” Walker, General Faw, and Mr. Roy Hale. In 2019, the Foundation was dissolved, and the scholarship fund was donated to Calvary UMC to continue the foundation’s core mission.
Information submitted in this application is for the use of the Scholarship Committee only and will be treated in a confidential manner. The fully completed application and proof of acceptance to a program/school must be submitted by July 1st for consideration for the Fall 2023 semester. You can submit your information online (preferred) or by mail at the following address:
Attn: Scholarship Committee CALVARY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, 2315 SOUTH GRANT STREET, ARLINGTON, VA 22202.
- Any active participant or member of CUMC, regardless of age, who is enrolled in
a certificate, career, or degree program, may apply for consideration.
- Application deadline is July 1st.
- The applicant must be an active participant/member of CUMC for at least 2-years (for examples of ministries at Calvary – please see the list of ministries at this link.)
- College/grad school applicant must be enrolled/accepted as a student. Those applying for certificate and continuing education programs must specify program. Funds are nontransferable.
- Applicants will only be eligible to receive funding each year for up to four (4) years.
- Scholarships for college/graduate school will be paid to the school by August 1.
- Scholarships for non-degree certificate or license programs will be paid to the educational institution operating the program. A receipt for payment should be included with this application.
- Unused funds due to removal from educational institution will be returned to the Calvary Endowed Scholarship Fund.
- It is up to the discretion of the committee to determine candidate eligibility and to alter amounts of money given on a yearly basis.
Definition of Active Member or Active Participant
(Must meet at least one of these criteria)
- Membership—via confirmation or confession of faith—for at least 2 years prior to a request for funds.
- Regular attendance at Sunday worship services, Sunday School, or special services for at least 2 years.
- Has participated in Missions to others, Fellowship with peers and/or church family, and Service to the church for at least 2 years.